Thursday, December 13, 2012

Google maps comes back to iOS 6


Google now has a maps available again on iOS 6 devices.  It is clear why Apple wanted to make their own maps app and this has been discussed elsewhere but it is unclear why it took Google so long to get their maps app approved.  Was it due to development time or approval delays?  Perhaps Google just wanted to let Apple's map problem fester for a little while before jumping in to help save the day.

In any case, Google's new map app seems to be working well.  I tested it on two locations that have given Apple's maps and some of the other maps apps problems.

The Portland Ballet was not found found in any other map app that I tried.  (Apple Maps, Waze, etc.)

Searching for "Ridgewood Elementary" on Apple Maps directed me to a New York City school with a different name instead of the school a half mile from my location.

I ran the new Google Maps apps on my 3rd generation iPad with iOS 6.0.  It is an iPhone app rather than a universal app but it runs fine and rescales nicely with the 2x button.  See the screen above.  I may download for my iPhone to test but now I feel comfortable enough with the mapping options to get an iPhone 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment